Thursday, August 31, 2006

is Mitt a Christian?

One of the frequent points brought up about Mitt Romney is it may be hard for him to be elected because he is a Mormon. Invariably someone posts the comment that Mormons aren't Christians. Just my two cents to address the, "Are Mormons Christians?" question.

I like the answer I've heard before that goes like, "From what you know of your friends and acquaintances who are Mormons, do you think they are Christians?"
For anyone out there who is really wondering if Mitt is a Christian I would recommend the following:
1. check out the website http://www.mormon.org/ When you are at that site, do you feel that Mormons are Christians?
2. Sit down with a copy of the Bible and The Book of Mormon. Read a few chapters of one, and then the other. Both books strongly make the case that Jesus Christ is the Savior.
3. Attend a Sunday meeting of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Though it is sometimes disheartening to hear this question (to me it is like asking "Is blue a color?") for those who are wondering, curiosity about this opens an opportunity to learn the truth. Ultimately, it is every individual's responsibility who wonders to find out, "Are Mormons Christians?"

3 Comments:

Blogger Nivek said...

I am also active LDS and wholeheartedly agree on the point of your post.

That being said, I am trying to frame my comments in a way that while acknowledging my LDS'ness, I do not want anyone coming to visit this site to feel in any way that this is an "LDS" website for LDS people.

I want us to have a pluralistic "big-tent" kind of feel, that no matter where we stand on religion, that Mitt is our man.

I think your comments were fine, I just hope that our shared faith with Mitt does not become the focal point of this blog, as I hope we will appeal to thousands in our state who are not LDS.

I have had to ask myself if I would vote for Mitt if he were not LDS, and Ican honestly say yes, as I have voted all my adult life for mostly people who were not, and les qualified than him. Being LDS is icing on the cake for me as we have shared faith, and view him as someone on a similar spiritual plane as myself, but as I said, that is the icing, not the cake.

Anyway, good post, I just wanted to converse a little about it.

11:19 PM, August 31, 2006  
Blogger publius5 said...

I agree with you. I just had to get it out of my system - down in black and white. I like your point about having a big-tent feel. I really like how you responded at Soundpolitics.

Mitchell

8:35 PM, September 01, 2006  
Blogger Nivek said...

Thanks, I am trying to stay above frolicking in muck with people when it comes to politics, it is so easy to do, I have been down in it many times, but this time with mitt, it seems different, at least for me.

I want to help put forth a campaign mode that is absent of any of that and completely full of optimism and issue clarity. We will see what happens.

10:24 PM, September 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home